Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Project


My bell collection includes examples of the work of famous foundries around the world, past and present. Checking out bell foundries on the internet I came across the website of the Kruszewski Brothers Bell Foundry in Poland. After looking at their website I had an idea. Ruth and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary last year. Now that's a good excuse for a bell! So here was an opportunity to get a bell from another country with a specific purpose to commemorate our wedding anniversary. So hoping someone at the foundry would understand English I sent an email to the Foundry.
Quite quickly I had a reply from Wojciech Kruszewski who signed his name as Wojtek. I have lost track of how many emails we sent to clarify the details of the bell, payment method etc. But we eventually understood each other. The details were agreed and the bell was expected to be ready in about two months. Wojtek's English was sometimes a little Polish but I always understood what he meant. How I admire people who learn other languages! They put many of us from English speaking nations to shame. I am embarrassed to show it but this was the drawing that finally made my requirements clear to Wojtek

No comments: